Friday, November 13, 2009

L.L. Bean and Camping?

This articles appeared in the New York Times in August and I am just now picking up on it.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/fashion/20ROW.html

I found this piece to be interesting for a couple of reasons.
1. I thought that LL Bean's standard clothing was very well suited for camping life. Most of their clothing is rugged and durable.
2. I don't know that the new line makes any sense at all for campers. Linen blazers and camp jackets? Really? I can't tell you the last time I saw a gentleman walking around a campground in a linen blazer. Oh wait, yes I can, NEVER! And the price points that they set for this new line seems to be a bit above what almost any camper is going to pay for something to sit around the campfire in. I love the fact that they mention the fact that camping is partially coming back in vogue because it is viewed as less expensive, then they mention that the new (designer) clothes would cost approximately 50-70 for a shirt and 200 for the blazer. Absolutely, love it!

I would personally like to see LL Bean start a line that features some quick dry clothing, more stylishly cut shirts, lightweight waterproof softshell jackets, and other modernized athletic adventure lines! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love LL Bean and many of the things they carry. However, if they want to capture the camping market even more, then they are veering off on the wrong rabbit path with this line.

1 comment:

  1. Just tonight I was thinking----you know, I would like to start a campfire but I haven't the proper attire, if only I had packed my linen blazer. A crisp damp evening and I am surrounded by nothing but Under Armour and fleece options, dang my rookie mistake

    ReplyDelete