Thursday, November 12, 2009

Not sleeping!

Last night I had trouble sleeping, mostly because I had a lot of things going through my mind. But I was reminded of several times I couldn't sleep while on camping trips due to things/people out of my control. Such as:

The time we camped with my mother in law (in a pop up) and her snoring (which was occassionally interrupted by prolonged bouts of coughing) kept everyone else in the camper awake until about 1:00 am. Finally everyone was able to get to sleep. Hours later we were promptly roused out of our slumber by the sound of my mother in law digging through the plastic grocery bags for her shower stuff, since she likes to wake up at about 4:30 am and get showers. And let me tell you, this was not just a minute or two of plastic bag rustling, but more like 20 minutes of constant muttering to herself while wildly thrashing her hands around inside the bags looking for who knows what. After several terse remarks from my wife her mother retreated to the shower house. Finally, some peace and quiet and we all returned our heads to our pillows determined to make the most of it. No sooner had we drifted back off and hark what was that we hear, but a chainsaw being started up and used to cut firewood by the man at the seasonal site next to us. My wife, who was VERY pregnant at the time and had a hard enough time getting sleep anyways muttered some words which are not appropriate on this site, and begged me to do something. I am not a person who typically confronts people but this happened to be a bit excessive so I pried myself from under the warm blanket and traipsed over to his site to kindly remind him that quiet hours were still in effect for a while. I then dragged my worn out self back to my camper and collapsed on my bed. "Finally, a good hour or two left to get some shut eye before the campground gets active", I think to myself. That is when the crow started cawling in the tree high above our camper..........
Aaaahhh yes, now that is camping!

*Disclaimer- my mother and law and I actually get along very well and other than this occassion she was a superb camper. She was undoubtedly one of the happiest campers at our site (probably because she is the only one who eschews sleep!) . FYI- she is banned from packing in plastic bags on any future trips!

1 comment:

  1. This is very accurate and too funny!! I will never forget that trip and neither will anyone else...the best of the worst for me!
    -the wife

    ReplyDelete